Sunday, August 17, 2014

Cow Camp; A Tradition & Legacy of Montgomery; 2014

 
Cow Camp is the best time of the year for our family and it is such a special tradition. This tradition has been in my family since my Dad was a kid and its amazing seeing pictures and videos from when Dad was young til now. This is a 65+ year tradition for the Montgomery family and there are so many memories that were made in this special place and I cant wait to make more.

It is a week long trip that usually takes place during the last full week of July. Its out in the Deschutes National Forest out passed Sun River, at Cow Meadow on Snow Creek, in the heart of surrounding lakes and reservoirs, Crane Prairie, North & South Twin Lake, Lava Lake and O'Dell Lake. We do our volunteer work for Oregon Dept. of Fish & Wildlife (ODFW) and its the best thing. Maintaining the Wood Duck Box Project and other wildlife habitats is project that means so much to me and will spend my life doing. Everything about Cow Camp is so important to me and its located in the most beautiful place I have ever seen and its the one place that I would love to spend my life in; out in the high desert with the forest summers covered in wildflowers in the and blanketed in snow in the winter.
This trip is planned ALL YEAR long and takes my family WEEKS to pack for. Starting on the 2nd or 3rd week of July, my parents, siblings and I start clearing space in the garage and Dad goes up to the attic to our designated "Cow Camp" section and starts handing down all the gear. Once we have all the gear tucked away in the garage, we go to Papa's and typically help him get his gear ready if someone else hasnt already done so. Mind you, my Dad is the youngest and is the only boy out of all his siblings so I think its just a bond that Papa and Dad share as to why Dad likes to do it.

After all our gear is set aside and Papa's is taken care of, its time to go out and get our 5th wheel. The 5th wheel is parked in the driveway for the 3rd week of the month so we can get it loaded and ready for the biggest week of our lives.
 
 
The night prior to departure is always the CRAZIEST, most hectic day/night. Mom and I usually do last minute shopping for groceries, bug spray and anything else that is needed for the trip. It is an all day thing, trust me. Then when we get home, its time to make sure everything is packed up and loaded into the trucks and into the 5th wheel then in the morning, its
Hi Ho, Hi Ho, its off to Cow Camp we go!
 
 
 








 
Some views of Snow Creek.
 





 

The before and after views of the summer thunder storm.

 
Flank steak, potatoes, green beans and salad- a Cow Camp Classic.




Perfect coals for marshmallows!


 Burton and I exploring.
 


Deschutes Bridge over Snow Creek.










 Kiddos are catching tree frogs!
 





 
Malia caught 9 frogs in her bug catcher, then of course we set them all free.



 
Wood Duck Maintenance Project.

 
Umm, I have no clue but ^this is what happens when you're reporting for ODFW and your kid sister Chandler gets ahold of your iPhone...
 

Duck activity has occurred! Shells, down and duff! 6 hatched eggs, 1 unhatched eggs, feathers...
This is a great sign for next year!



Little Iris holding the unhatched egg while we finished reporting. Such a sweetie pie!


My cousins and I used to sit on the picnic tables and take our yearly photos.
Now our children are building those memories!




Cultus Lake- Our yearly swimming resort!


After a long day at the lake!


Yearly Cousins Pic [We are too big to sit on picnic tables now lol]


With our amazing Papa Monty.




Upper Snow Creek.

 
Highway 97 and Dad and his dad, Monty.
 

And finally, this man is the reason we do what we do, the reason we work for the State of Oregon Dept. of Fish & Wildlife, the reason we have the traditions we have, is because of him; Mr. Monty Leon Montgomery. This man is the best man I've ever had the privilege in knowing and I will always have nothing but respect for him. The legacy that he has built into our family is so irreplaceable and I am so honored to be a member of this family. Thank you for another great year in our 65 year, Cow Camp family tradition Papa! I love you more than you'll ever know!

No comments:

Post a Comment